Through this program, participants contribute authority records for personal, corporate, and jurisdictional names; uniform titles; and series headings to the LC/NACO Authority File. Membership in NACO is open to individual institutions willing to support their staff through a process of training, review, and direct contributions of records to the LC/NACO Name Authority File.
Documentation & Updates
- MARC 21 encoding to accommodate new RDA elements 046 and 3XX in NARs and SARs (Word: 139 KB) Recommended interim PCC practice when giving 046 and 3XX data in NACO authority records
- Guidelines for Reporting NACO BFM
- LC/PCC Practice for Creating NARs for Persons who use Pseudonyms (PDF, 345KB)
- Non-Latin Script References in Name Authority Records (PPT, 713KB)
- DCM updates available from CDS
- LCRI updates available from CDS
The PCC affords participants a full course of specialized NACO training and review leading to institutional independence in name authority work. This training is currently offered sequentially in segments that amount to a five day workshop. During the training, guidelines are discussed and expanded upon with an emphasis on building a consistent and predictable file in a collaborative environment.
A NACO funnel project is a group of libraries that have joined together to contribute name authority records to the national authority file.
NACO Resources & Forms
- Library of Congress Literary Author (053) Request Form
- NACO Liaisons
- Funnel projects
- PCC listserv and how to join
- NACO Series Training Information
- NACO Series Trainers
NACO partners are global leaders in uniquely identifying authorized names in international databases.
Meetings & Events
- 06/21-26/2012: ALA Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA
- 05/03-04/2012: PCC Operations Committee Meetings, Library of Congress, Washington, DC
Agenda (Word 44KB)
- 06/24-28/2011: ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA
- 01/07-11/2011 San Diego, CA: ALA Midwinter Meeting
- 11/04-05/2010: Washington, DC: PCC Policy Committee Meeting Agenda (PDF, 37KB)
- Personal Name NARs
- LC/PCC Practice for Creating NARs for Persons who use Pseudonyms
- Corporate Name NARs
- 670 field