Through this program, participants contribute authority records for personal, corporate, and jurisdictional names; uniform titles; and series headings to the LC/NACO Authority File. Membership in NACO is open to individual institutions willing to support their staff through a process of training, review, and direct contributions of records to the LC/NACO Name Authority File.
Documentation & Updates
- MARC 21 Encoding to Accommodate New RDA elements 046 and 3XX in NARs and SARs (Word: 139 KB)
- Guidelines for Reporting NACO BFM
- LC/PCC Practice for Creating NARs for Persons who use Pseudonyms (PDF, 345KB)
- Non-Latin Script References in Name Authority Records (PPT, 713KB)
- LC-PCC Policy Statements for RDA
- DCM Z1 and LC Guidelines Supplement to MARC 21 Format for Authorities Data
- Summary of Programmatic Changes to the LC/NACO Authority File (Phases 1 and 2) (PDF: 230 KB)
- Report and Specifications for Phase 3 Changes to the LC/NACO Authority File (implementation pending)
The PCC affords participants a full course of specialized NACO training and review leading to institutional independence in name authority work. This training is currently offered sequentially in segments that amount to a five day workshop. During the training, guidelines are discussed and expanded upon with an emphasis on building a consistent and predictable file in a collaborative environment.
- Learn more about the NACO Training Workshop
- Find a NACO Trainer in your area
- Cataloger's Learning Workshop (CLW)
- NACO Series Training Information
A NACO funnel project is a group of libraries that have joined together to contribute name authority records to the national authority file.
NACO Resources & Forms
- Library of Congress Literary Author (053) Request Form
- ALA-LC Romanization Tables
- LC Authorities
- NACO Liaisons
- Funnel projects
- PCC listserv and how to join
NACO partners are global leaders in uniquely identifying authorized names in international databases.
Meetings & Events
- Personal Name NARs
- LC/PCC Practice for Creating NARs for Persons who use Pseudonyms (May 14, 2015)
- Corporate Name NARs
- 670 field